Sunday, January 25, 2009

History

Well, I started History class on Wednesday! I was terrified at first but I think I'm really going to enjoy this class.

I was a little late for the first class, three minutes, and I tried to discretely walk in and find the closest empty seat but my professor decided to call me out. I was a little embarrassed! He said, "And you are?" I answered, "Stacy Owens, sir." He said, "Please come to the front of the class." At this moment I thought my world was over, but he just wanted to give me the syllabus. Boy was I ever so happy to know that he wasn't going to make me do something stupid or ask a question I wouldn't know the answer to.

He started class going over the rules and telling a little about himself. It's good to know that he is a father of five, three of which are in college now, and understands the stress of being a college student and surviving the real world at the same time. He says he wants us to ask him questions and talk to him when we don't understand. I was amazed! In my college experiences so far, the professor could care less about who you are and why you are there.

Once he finished going over the basics, he began class. This class is from 6pm-9pm, by the way. He began lecture at 8pm and ten minutes into the lecture a loud pop came from the front of the classroom and then the powerpoint dissappeared from the screen. He was so confused about what was going on. I raised my hand and said, "Sir, I believe the bulb blew. I heard a pop come from the front of the classroom and then your powerpoint disappeared." He said, "Really, you heard a pop? I guess you are correct." Then he said, "Well, I guess I have no reason to hold you any longer so have a good week and I'll see you next Wednesday." I wasn't sure if I was glad or sad. I've never had that feeling in a class before.

I was bummed that we weren't going to get to finish his lecture. He's not the typical boring history professor. I was able to tell he really enjoyed history and he wanted us to really enjoy it too. (It's one of my favorite subjects) So, I really look forward to class next week!

I have to do projects and I'm having a real hard time deciding what I will do it on. If anyone could offer some advice I would appreciate it. The assignment is as follows: A 10 minute oral report. The object of the report will be to provide the historical underpinnings of a current event in order to draw on historical prospective to evaluate a contemporary issue. This should project should be done in powerpoint format. I don't want to present a report on the new President because I'm sure everyone will do that, but I really don't have a clue what other topic to present. I am excited about this project. I know I sound like a dork, but I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

Please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment