Sunday, April 19, 2009

A long Evening in the ER with my baby girl!

Today has been a rough day for my little lady bug, but it all started last night. We had a very busy day yesterday with gymnastics, an Easter Egg hunt at the church, and her cousins first birthday party. When we got home, she was acting pretty lethargic, but I assumed it was because she had a very hectic day. Boy was I wrong! This morning she woke up and was acting sleepy, but I decided to go ahead and give her a morning bottle. Shortly after finishing it, she vomited all over my mom and it was projectile. Then she fell asleep and sleep for hours. When she woke, she was in vomit again. I decided to call my ER friends and see if I could bring her in and have one of them look at her ears, because she had been tugging on ears. My mom and dad decided to follow me there because I was suppose to work, but on the way to the ER it was like the exorcist was in my back seat. I first heard a gurgle, which scared me to death, and then the heaving. My poor baby and my backseat were covered!

At the ER, the doctor came in to look at Ashlyn. She decided to have an IV and some fluids, draw some blood, and get some urine. The IV went well, but broke my heart. It's so different when it's your own. They drew the blood when they started the IV so she only had to be stuck once. The urine, well she decided she wasn't going to pee-pee her panties this time. Later, they sent her for an x-ray after suspecting intersucception. The blood results came back normal, the x-ray showed a lot of air in the upper portion of her abdomen (which shouldn't be there), and the pee-pee, still none. Finally, they did an in and out catheter. It was clear, but showed a lot of ketones.

After deciding that she didn't need to be admitted after all, we were sent home nearly six hours later and told strictly clear liquids all day tomorrow. If no improvement, follow up with her pediatrician in the morning. Well, my baby is home and sleeping right now, but she does keep whimpering here and there. Hopefully, we will have a better day tomorrow.

In the midst of Ashlyn being in the ER, so was Claudia, my niece. They suspect peanut allergy with her. She is also home and doing well. No more peanuts for her! Pray for our girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment